121 N. San Dimas Avenue, San Dimas
Designed by Samuel and Joseph Cather Newsom, the Queen Anne-style San Dimas Hotel was built in 1887 along the Santa Fe Railway to attract migrants from back east. The economic boom went bust, and the building never opened as a hotel. Instead, it served as home to the family of James W. Walker from 1889 through the 1970s. It operated as a restaurant for years, then fell into decline and suffered two decades of neglect and earthquake damage. The City of San Dimas stepped up, purchasing the property and rehabilitating it into a mixed-use community facility. This beautiful, significant landmark came back from the brink to serve as a vital asset and source of civic pride, while keeping the authentic patina of a century-old landmark.